What do you want to learn more about?

My Mom's Retreat – The Master Bedroom

I am now featuring the last room of my downstairs, which happens to be “my retreat” that is my Master Bedroom retreat. This room is about us as a couple. I highly recommend to anyone who is decorating their Master Bedroom to just have items that represent you as a couple no kid’s pictures or their things allowed in this space.

I designed this with all customized pieces, starting with the upholstered bed I designed from a variety of beds I liked but just weren’t the right style for what I wanted. I worked with my custom upholstered to design it so it fit my specialty mattress. I opted to paint the walls and ceiling in a soft relaxing wonderful blue from Benjamin Moore, Brittany Blue and I found a carpet that matched and I had the carpet bound and custom sized to fit the space. The bedding is a washable velvet from Lili Alessandra and accented with a custom pillow I had made to mixed it up a bit.

The nightstands were ones I had from a while ago. I liked the shape and the drawers so I opted to have them custom painted to go with the color scheme of the room. My lamps are from Circa Lighting – I fell in love with them as soon as I saw them along with the chandelier, love the shapes.

The flower above the bed is from Etsy. I had been seeing paper flowers a lot lately and wanted a peony, one of my favorite flowers, to give it something different for above my bed. I had it framed in plexi shadow box frame with a fabric backing that matched the wall color to hide the hooks. I wanted to break up the long narrow bedroom so I opted for picture moldings flanked on each side of the bed and papered it within the molding to give a more elegant touch. I used a dotted wallcovering that has a metallic finish.

The shelved wall was this odd recessed area that needed more than just a flat piece of art. I wanted a place to tell the story of us so I refinished Pottery Barn wall shelves and had them custom matched to the rest of the white in the space. I will be sharing more about the art and accessories next week. Here is the link to our Marker Girl Printshop original “Forever Young” picture above on the shelf.

Right past the shelved wall there is my sitting area. Since I have a home office in my home. I wanted a place that is for after work: no kids, no phone just a place to read or watch TV. I found this great chair at a trade source and recovered it in the only non kid-friendly fabric I have in my home, a velvet, so only I am allowed to sit in it.

The cabinets were custom designed by me. I opted for mirrored panels to make the small area feel more open and pull more light in. The drapery is a simple playful pattern that I felt tied in all of the colors and shapes in the space.

There is a floor mirror with a chair next to it on the other side of the room. This was the only thing my husband requested – a place where he could sit to untie his shoes. So, I redid a simple chair I had for a while with a fun dotted fabric that went with the wallcovering and custom painted the frame to match the white in the room.

The TV cabinet is right across from the bed. I custom designed it as well to store bedding and media in the trays. Flanking on either side are panels to mirror the bedside ones. I decorated the top with books that I love along with two photos of us with a fun little graphic heart print to say what this room means to us.

Click here for part 2 of this master bedroom retreat makover

Happy Everything! Karen

Here are the details from the room:

Wall Color – Benjamin Moore Brittany Blue 1633

Drapery – Fabricut | Chair Custom | Side Table – Worlds Away (disc.)

Mirror | Flower – Etsy Tea Time Crafty | Side Chair (disc.)

Shelving – Pottery Barn | Lamps and Chandelier – Circa Lighting

Bed Custom | Bedding – Lili Alessandra  | Pillow – Fabricut Margie

Wallpaper Panels  – Thibaut  | Rug Stark Carpet

Ultimate Family Friendly Decorating Starter Kit PDF

Get Your FREE Ultimate Family-Friendly Decorating Starter Kit

Create your family’s dream home with a plan and without the overwhelm.

25 Comments

1. Tom on August 2, 2017 at 7:37 pm

Karen,
    What a restful retreat! You got it!

• Karen Davis on August 2, 2017 at 7:50 pm

Thank you Tom! I do love it.

2. Coffee Table By Size on August 8, 2017 at 8:45 am

This is simply very beautiful. I just love the pictures and colors. It’s awesome.

• Karen Davis on October 10, 2017 at 5:35 pm

Thank you!

3. Master Bedroom Couples Retreat on August 8, 2017 at 12:39 pm

[…] Here is part two of my Master Bedroom retreat story. Check out more room details from my previous post. […]

4. colorninterior on August 16, 2017 at 3:35 am

Loved your decision of choosing the blue color, it is really looking beautiful.

• Karen Davis on October 10, 2017 at 5:35 pm

It is always nice to add a punch of color especially in bedrooms, Thank you!

5. […] Article from Marker Girl, MY MOM’S RETREAT – THE MASTER BEDROOM […]

6. Tiffany on October 21, 2017 at 2:11 am

Wow! What a gorgeous room! It’s incredibly serene, and welcoming! The nightstands are beautiful. Can you please tell me who originally made them and what colors were used to repaint them?

• Karen Davis on October 21, 2017 at 10:31 am

Thank you for interest in Marker Girl. The nightstands are no longer available from Universal Furniture they were purchased 10 years ago. The paint colors are custom to match the room. You can go to any paint store and have them match your trim color or fabric.

7. Carol on January 3, 2018 at 2:46 am

I love the flower in the plexiglass box above the bed. How do I go about framing it the way you did after I receive the flower? Do I bring it to a framing store or can I buy the shadow box directly and from where? I want the peony to be fairly large, 24-30 in, so the frame needs to be large. Thank you

• Karen Davis on January 3, 2018 at 9:36 am

Thank you for interest in Marker Girl. You will want to go to the framing store, they have fabrics generally you can pick from to mount on the back. The frame is about 4″ bigger on each side of the flower so about 8″ bigger than the flower. For the size of the flower, it depends on where you place it and what size that will be.

• Christi Glavaris Lochmueller on September 4, 2019 at 6:15 pm

Love this room…what size flower is this?

• Karen Davis on September 5, 2019 at 12:41 pm

The flower was custom made, you will want to measure the space you have and then ask the creator of the flower to make it in that size. Thank you for you interest in Marker Girl.

8. Patty Collings on April 2, 2018 at 7:37 pm

Can you please tell me where you found the picture of the senior couple on the shelf. I absolutely love this room.

• Karen Davis on April 11, 2018 at 10:24 am

Hi Patty, Can you send me your email address to info@markergirl.com. We are right in the middle of setting up a fine art print shop on our site. I would be more than happy to send you the link to purchase it in various sizes. Sincerely, Karen Davis – Marker Girl

• Karen Davis on January 28, 2019 at 9:40 pm

We now have it available in our printshop here is the link for the fine art photo “forever young” https://markergirl.smugmug.com/Other/i-BZjKmgK/A

9. Kim on August 19, 2018 at 9:24 pm

Hello I love the bedding in your room. I know computer screens are not predictable as far as color goes and I was wondering if you could tell me what exact color this was? On my computer screen it looks like the Ice Blue but your link takes me to Horchow and the Sea Foam. On the Lilli Alessandra web site the Sea Foam looks like a bright green, which is not what I am looking for. Ive been searching for a soft spa blue velvet in a diamond pattern. Your picture portrays what I want but the web site doesn’t. Thanks!

• Karen Davis on August 20, 2018 at 9:52 am

It is Ice Blue was purchased a while back it seems to be discontinued now in the color, you may want to see if they a local reseller in your area. There are the vendors that have a similar color like Pine Cone Hill’s Sky/Robin’s Egg Blue. Thank you for your interest in Marker Girl.

10. ConB on June 27, 2019 at 10:15 pm

Would you please tell me where you found the chandelier?

• Karen Davis on June 28, 2019 at 3:41 pm

The link to the chandelier is listed at the bottom of the post. Thank you for your interest.

11. Debbie on October 10, 2019 at 10:41 am

Hi Karen
    I love the carpet – can you share the manufacturer? I thought I read Stark somewhere but I can’t find that style.

12. […] In my Master Bedroom – my Mom retreat I incorporated this story into the room. Check out the details here… […]

13. Lynne on May 29, 2020 at 11:35 pm

Beautiful room. I’m assuming the circa lighting lamps are the “tall” version. Can you confirm? Thank you.

• Karen Davis on May 30, 2020 at 7:45 am

It is the 26″ diameter version link is down at the bottom of the post.